Thursday, September 9, 2010

KinderGARDENS- Harvesting Biceps - Week- 22

Laddie is Home from a summer semester at College!! 
("...and the peasants rejoiced!")

Mom:  "Hi Laddie I'm so glad you are home!" (Big Hug)
Laddie:  "Yea, that is nice--what chores do you want me to do?!"
Mom:  "Oh, not much, just come out to the garden with me, harvest some veggies
 and let me take some pictures of you!  I'll cook you food!"
Laddie:  "I could do that."

Heirloom tomato of some variety, I'm still not good at labeling my plants
 so I can't tell you which variety.
By the looks of them I think these are "Chocolate cherry tomatoes."
Hot peppers of some type.
Lemon Cucumbers
Golden Beets
The butternut probably won't ripen before the season is over.
These little ones are pretty sweet.
I'm pretty sure these are the "tie-dyed" tomatoes I love so much.  
They are supposed to be orange and red striped...not gonna make it I'm afraid.
Ghost Patty Pan squash.  They have been great in soup.
More green tomatoes.
This is a sample of our corn!  Hmmm, better luck next year!
Sugar Pumpkin that is trying to turn orange!!
Spaghetti squash.  Last year I had over 60 of these!!  
We were feeding them to the chickens during the winter.  
I'm going to have 2 this year if these ripen.
A nice basket of beauties, harvested by my nearly adult son who loves his momma!

Oh--AND we harvested a couple of these newly ripened beauties as well: 
 Home-grown Biceps!

Next week I'll get to put these newly developed muscles to work digging the potato harvest! Any guesses as to how many pounds we'll get? I should have a contest! Hmmm, that's a great idea!

7 comments:

Kirsten said...

lemon cucumbers?! they are so cute! how do they taste? i like the tie-dye tomatoes, too - they sound fun. so nice to have the kid(s) home - i loved how my relationship with my parents changed after i went to college. love them to pieces. :)

inadvertent farmer said...

ROFL...as a fellow mama with college aged sons I totally understand the joy of having them home!

Great post, your veggies look delicious and I'll cross my finger on them ALL ripening!

Great post, Kim

The author said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again, fabulous garden! When can I visit and eat tomatoes??? Lol, I guess 50 lbs of potatoes.

Cathryn said...

Thanks to all of your fun comments! You all can appreciate glowing comments I'm sure!

Kirsten- Lemon cucs are always nice and never bitter. Sometimes the green ones are bitter and you never know until you try them-uck! If you leave the lemons on the vine long they turn deep orangy-yellow and the skin is really thick, but then they will last longer, you just peel and eat. I love them.

Kim- It is nice to have the big sons home to help with the big work! Not much luck on anything else ripening though, it feels like fall to me.

Author- (I know I've seen your name somewhere, sorry I don't remember!) After reading your comment I thought maybe next weeks post should show the weeds and unfinished projects that also make up my garden! You have to know that I choose the BEST photos to post and that the reality is full of MORE WORK to do!! But you are welcome to come visit--just bring your gardening gloves and work boots!

Juliana said...

Beautiful photos! I think I need your garden tutoring skills in a big way...

MommyTopics.com said...

I love this post! So cute, so clever, so fun!

What are lemon cucumbers? I'm so curious. I've never heard of those before, but I LOVE cucumbers. I'm going to have to do some investigating!!!

You have a fantastic garden. Thanks for all the pictures and the update. It is so fun seeing everything!

Blessings
Rachymommy - MommyTopics.com

Brittany Alyse said...

Everything looks so good!! I want a bigger garden now!! but FIRST I need a bigger family!! ;)